Monday, June 2, 2014

#166 The Secret Life of Alexander Mori

Watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty this weekend.  Was a fun movie, but there was one scene in particular that felt especially relevant to my life.  It was the scene in which he debates internally whether or not he should jump on the helicopter...which translates to the key theme of the film, should he live life to the fullest despite the potential fears and dangers that come with adventure.

Last week I released my first novel, Exchange Day.  I toiled over clicking the final button that would e-publish the novel on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and several other e-book sites.  I worried that the book wasn't ready.  I worried that people might not like it, that they might judge me for putting myself out there as a writer instead of pursuing a job of which I was certainly more capable (bartender or record store music organizer.)  But like Walter Mitty, I decided to go for it.  I pushed the button and instantly felt like Walter as he clung to the interior of the helicopter rising dangerously into the air.  We see his expression of fear and wonder as he lets go of his inhibitions and decides once and for all to GO FOR IT!  That was me exactly.

And all week I have been exhilarated and nervous about checking my sales.  This was a soft launch, so I did not post anything on FB or any Amazon forums.  I told a few friends and family members, and that was it.  To commemorate this week, I have included a picture of my Amazon Dashboard.  You can see the $16 I've earned, all attributed to the 8 people I told.  However, you will notice one thing strange.  Beside Amazon.co.uk, you will see 1.21 GBP.  This truly is amazing.  The first person (non-family member) who bought my book lives in England!  

I've jumped on the helicopter, and it is rising into the air.  I am nervous and exhilarated, but most importantly, I am ready for this adventure!


No comments: