Wednesday, June 11, 2014

#169 Desert Island Book List

For the indie writer, finishing a novel is NOT enough.  Us indie writers are responsible for finding editors, graphic designers, formatting, and marketing.  So much to do.  So much to worry about!

My first book Exchange Day was published 2 short weeks ago and I have been toiling over marketing ever since.  I posted on FB, asked friends to share the book page I created, begged friends with twitter accounts to tweet something for me, and have told everyone I know to share the book by good ole fashioned word of mouth.  But I knew I needed to do more.

I've been reading Indie Writer Blogs to learn as much as I can about other forms of marketing that I can explore.  A few days ago I learned about KBoards.  These are discussion forums designed to share info on books.  I am unfamiliar with the KBoard culture, but have enough common sense to know not to annoy everyone with self-promotion.  However, I do not really understand the point of most forums and have a difficult time understanding how they can be used.  So I decided to start small.  I found one forum titled "Your Top 10 Desert Island Books," and read all the posts.  Seemed straight forward enough, though I don't know why strangers would care what books I would take with me on a deserted island.  So I decided to pop my KBoard cherry.  I made a list of 10.

I have posted this list below, not so that you can judge the books I would take with me.  I posted to show you how much of a social media lame-o I am.  I numbered my list like everyone else.  However, for number 8, I unwittingly typed a sunglasses emoticon.  Not sure if this comes across as a square trying to play on the newfangled computer.  Or if it looks like I am cool and especially like Game of Thrones (which I do.)

Oh well.  Live and learn, I guess.



No comments: