Tuesday, June 24, 2014

#172 First Month Sales

Exchange Day has been out for a month.  I remember when it was nothing more than a glimmer in daddy's eye.  And now it has been available for readers around the world for an entire month!  My how time flies... Well, one down, infinity to go!

To commemorate this landmark I have included a graph of sales up to this point.  So the real question is: what do these numbers mean?  Do these forecast in anyway what the book's potential is?  Or do these numbers forecast the number of friends/family and friends of family I have willing to spend a couple of dollars on my behalf?  Most blogposts I've read from newbie indie writers claim that sales for their first books were extremely slow in the beginning.  For 6 months or more sales trickled in (with little to no promotion), until something clicked and their books took off.  I would be fine with that.  5 months from now I intend to have 2 more books out and will be close to finishing another.  At that time I will have quadrupled my shelf space (3 of the books being in one series).  So we will see how this graph changes over the next few months.  We'll see if something clicks.

My ultimate goal per book is 1000 copies sold per month.  Many indie writers sell 5X that.  With 1000/month I could make a living.  I could continue doing this, which would make me very happy.


No comments: