Tuesday, June 10, 2014

#168 Identity Revisited

I wrote a post earlier this year on identity.  As an aspiring writer, I questioned the moment when one could or should refer to himself/herself as a writer.  This is a sensitive topic for many (me included) and ultimately I believe this is a struggle each writer faces individually.  In an effort to help others with this issue, I would like to share a small step forward I took this weekend.

I found myself mingling with friends/acquaintances/strangers at two events: work function and birthday party.  In the life of a writer, this constitutes an EXTREMELY busy weekend.  As is usual at these functions, I was asked what I did.  Normally I struggled through my answer, looking like a pageant contestant searching for an answer to world hunger.  A mannish, unattractive pageant contestant.  Something was different about this weekend.  My confidence was up.

So what was different?  For starters, I published my first book Exchange Day a couple of weeks ago  (you can check it out at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com.)  Secondly, I've finished book 2 and currently have it with my editor.  Thirdly, I am well into my 3rd project and am very excited about where it is and where it is going.

My first book has only been out a short while and has not sold more than 40 copies.  My other books are not out yet.  I have not made enough on my work to make a living.  I have not had many reviews. It is not the validation of others that has given me this confidence (though I must admit that the positive words I've heard so far about Exchange Day has helped tremendously.)  It is the fact that I am writing.  That is what makes me feel like a writer.  And no one can control that except for me.

If you are a newbie writer and you struggle with the question, "What do you do for a living?"  The best thing to do is write.  Cause when you are consistently writing, it is easy to look that person in the eyes and say, "I'm a writer!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not that hard to be a writer - all you have to do is write.

I started keeping track of daily writing time in February - and have a 98% rate of sitting down and blocking the internet while I write, typically for 300 min. daily.

Because of my slow brain, that usually includes breakfast, lunch, and two half-hour naps, but I still make fair progress - and the Muse knows where I am. I hate missing days.

I AM a writer - there are masses of words out there that wouldn't exist but for my typing fingers.

It's a nice gig if you can get it. Uh, TAKE it. Can't wait to get to the published part later this year.

Alicia