Monday, August 18, 2008

#10 Detention

I would like to begin with a decent movie L. and I watched over the weekend called Penelope. It stars Christina Ricci, who I have a crush on despite the largeness of her forhead (or fivehead). It is a modern fairy tale that is charming and for the most part entertaining. Not sure this one is going to bring down the house, but it is a decent movie, and you will not need Chris to watch it.



On the same night we also watched a movie called Zoom: Academy for Superheroes. This has Tim Allen and was a complete waste of time. Well, maybe not a complete waste of time...there was a Biff siting early in the film, and I certainly appreciated that. Biff is getting up there in years, but it made me happy to know he is still alive and in the business. Chevy Chase was also in the movie, but seeing him did not have the same effect. His acting was creepy, and I did not like it. Don't get me wrong, his acting was still better than Kiefer in 24, but not good enough to warrant watching this movie, unless Chris is there and you have a large bottle of whiskey to share.



I want to add a feature to this catalog of worthlessness that I think will be interesting. I do not have a name for it but it is going to be a small list of memories I have from Childhood that you guys may or may not remember. It is possible I remember stuff slightly differently than it really happened, and if this is the case feel free to chime in and let me know what you remember:



* In junior high Chris, Dugat, Chris Dupree and I played tag in the hallway between classes. Anytime we saw each other we were forced to run, just in case that person was it and trying to tag you. I am pretty sure we looked stupid running from each other in the hallways and I am also sure we got a detention or two as a result (All the detentions I got in Junior High were because of Dugat by the way)



* Speaking of Detention, in our 6th grade yearbook Craig is only in 1 picture other than his mug shot. It is a pic of detention with an article about bad kids and punishments. Craig is the largest figure in the picture sitting at a table by himself in the lunchroom.



* I remember the day Craig and I learned to play quarters. Mark arrived home with a friend (I cannot remember his name but he bit a hole in a beer can) and played quarters with us until they left to go out. This was the first night of drinking games in my life. We made silly rules, like the run around the couch before drinking rule, which incidentally did not work too well. We did not like the taste of beer so we brought pieces of bread to chase the beer down with. I can't remember who, but one of us threw up after drinking a sip of beer and eating a piece of bread. I think it may have been me. Later that same night we rigged a ping pong table out of of the dining room table and we used children's books as our paddles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I don't mind you pointing out that my biggest claim to fame in Junior high was that I was in the detention photo story for our yearbook, I do have a problem with you calling me " the largest figure in the picture sitting at a table all by myself " First of all it's detention so of course Im going to be sitting by myself. And second, " the largest figure in the picture " you make it sound like Im some kind of huge whale like creature that is not only getting in trouble but evidently has a hygiene problem b/c no one wants to sit by him. Come on man! I know I wasn't Jacob Baker or Jimmy Mousadakis but I did date a hopeful olympic gymnast in 6th grade, although we never really talked b/c she left school early for gymnastics practice and we couldn't talk on the phone b/c she didn't get home from practice until 7:45pm and her mom wouldn't let her talk on the phone after 8pm... On the days when I would see her in the halls I would just awkwardly walk past her and kinda look the other way b/c I didn't know what I should say to her, or how I should act.
That was Michael Booer that bit a whole in the beer can. I think the ping pong game with the Golden Spine Children's books should get credit for the first of many great time waste inventions while drinking. Some other notable inventions would be, drinking games based on movies, life jacket diapers, NBA Jams and the great white Shaq, find the quarter drinking game, pretending to be a big time hollywood actor with a cigar, and the absurd abuse of power.. 100 pushup rule in Presidents and Assholes by Miller.

Michael Dugat said...

Craig, if it makes you feel better, you could also take the "largest figure in the picture" comment to mean you simply appeared to be the most powerful. Like, you dominated the picture with your fierceness.

Life Jacket Diapers are wonderful, and never need to be changed...which makes them even more wonderful. I don't have kids, but know I wouldn't enjoy changing a diaper.

A good memory was how Chris and I became friends in 6th grade. He kept taking the ink out of his pen and hiding it somewhere at my desk - and then acting like I stole it. At least, that's the way I choose to remember it.

In that same class, the teacher decided to have a lottery to assign desks with the sole purpose of separating Chris and I. Of course, we drew desk right next to each other which completely defeated the purpose of the game and so she just sat us at opposite sides of the room anyway.

I continue to believe this is one of the largest injustices this world has ever known. We beat the game and should have been rewarded, not punished for it. It wasn't our fault God wanted us to sit beside each other.