L. and I watched 2 aussie movies this weekend, 1 new and 1 old. The new movie we watched was Ned Kelly. It felt like the writer/director crew attempted to make another Braveheart style of movie. It is a long epic about a local hero who defies the curropt Victorian Coppers in the name of the people. The movie was fine and somewhat slow. However, the ending is nowhere near as powerful as Braveheart. Instead, Ned wears a silly costume and walks around and it is very weird. Check it out if you have time. Chris will not necessarily enjoy this one, but you do not need him there to make it entertaining.
The second movie we watched is an old movie called Gallipoli. It is directed by Peter Weir (The Truman Show, Dead Poet's Society), but it is old. Mel Gibson is in it. I am so happy I made L. watch this movie. It looked old and the Austrailian supporting cast was not good. The movie is slow, but there is something about it that was entertaining for me. Perhaps it is because Mel is in it. Perhaps it is because I like long boring old movies more than the next guy. It is possible the infusion of crappy technotronic music made the film more interesting for me. Anyway, the thing is long and I cannot endorse it to anyone otherwise you would never give credence to my movie reviews again. But know, on some level I enjoyed this movie. Chris would make this movie more fun to watch, but it would piss him off to make him watch it.
Been listening to Aqualung recently. A great album. 1 of the songs combines a flute solo with chanting. This is the sort of bold music writing I can appreciate from Ian Anderson, even though I feel silly listening to it now. Wondr'ing Aloud has a great line in it: "And it's only the giving that makes you what you are..."
No comments:
Post a Comment