One aspect to my writing adventure that I still struggle with is the art of selling myself. I attend parties, lunches, or talk with friendly people in waiting rooms, and I have trouble selling myself as a writer. I know this stems from confidence, but it also stems from my desire NOT to be pushy on people. But, how do I expect to spread the word about my awesome books if I don't tell anyone? So, I've decided to work on this aspect of my career.
This weekend I went to a birthday party. In attendance were several intelligent people who I learned LOVE to read. Perfect opportunity, right? Well, I took advantage. When the inevitable question came up, "What do you do?", I answered triumphantly, "I'm a writer!"
We discussed my book, my writing process, publishing, genres, great writers of the past and present, and ultimately had a grand ole time. At the end of the night I made a point to direct everyone to my website. This is the easiest and best place to find information on my writing and myself in general. And it is easy to remember. www.alexandermori.com. But you already knew that!
When we got home I began undressing and realized the silliest thing in the world. There is only one picture of me on my website. I did this by design. It is the same picture on my twitter and kboards account. As I removed my blue, button down shirt I realized that was the exact same outfit I wore when my one photo was taken. Everyone at the party (who ventured to the website), thinks I LOVE that outfit!
Here's the moral of the story: when you take your one photo for the website, burn the outfit you wore so that you don't look like a fool. Either that, or buy six more of that same outfit and just wear it every day of your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment