Thursday, August 7, 2014

#181 Iconic Films From My Youth

Growing up in the late 80s/early 90s there were some bad ass iconic films that helped shape a generation of artists.  Me included.  I'm not sure if this is what all old guys do, but I look back fondly at some of these films, remembering how important it was to see them in the theater as soon as possible because all the other kids would be talking about it at school on Monday.  Following is a list of the big name movies that came out when I was younger.  For some, this will line up nicely.  Let me know what movies made your list of Iconic Films From Your Youth!


  • Batman - The original one with Michael Keaton.  Before this, Batman was seriously lame!
  • Jurassic Park - This movie truly changed visual effects forever.  I saw it twice in the theater, and still get the chills when the T-Rex is introduced for the first time.  The effects in this movie, though 20 years old, still stand up.
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - Holds up surprisingly well.  But I think that is because Rufus is cool and Bill's mom is so hot.
  • The Ghostbusters - No explanation needed.  Roller skating rinks were never the same afterward.
  • Back To The Future - This movie blew my mind.  I think this movie and its sequels is actually responsible for Stephen Hawking's understand of space and time.
  • Total Recall - Think this is the best action movie of all time.  If not, the only rivals I can think of are T2 and Die Hard.  
  • T2 and Die Hard - May be the best action movies of all time.  If not, it's probably Total Recall.
  • Basic Instinct - This movie was SO scandalous that I remember my parents (who do not care about movies) needing to see it.  They would not let us watch it.  So we bought tickets to some other movie and then snuck in and watched it anyway.  The interrogation room scene still haunts and intrigues me to this day.
  • Return of the Jedi - Third installment to the most important trilogy ever.  So good!  So important!  And I saw it so many times in the theater.
  • The Karate Kid - For a school talent show me and a friend devised a karate routine to "You're The Best Around" song.  It was super cool.  All my elementary school pajamas were karate outfits.
Others that just barely did not make the list.  There are great films, but I do not remember NEEDING to see them in the theater like the others:

Waterworld, Robocop, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Aliens, The Goonies, Lethal Weapon, The Lost Boys

No comments: