Monday, September 15, 2008

#19 Ike and Cadet Jones

On friday night L. went to Shreveport for a bachelorette party, leaving me to entertain myself alone in Tyler. I watched a documentary we recorded on our DVR called White Light/Black Rain. It told the story of many survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs.

After the documentary ended, and as I sat reflecting on the atrocities of atomic warfare, L. sent me a text message. It said something like, "We are at a comedy club watching the guy who does all the sound effects from the police academy movies. And he is not funny,"

First of all, she did not know his name. That hurt. And then she did not think hearing a guy make creaking door sounds, machine guns, laser guns, the beeps, creeps and bleeps, and finally the kung fu movie sound effects was not funny? I do not understand this.

I expressed my jealousy and told her that Michael Winslow is more than just the "police academy guy." He is also the spaceballs guy as well as the voice of Gizmo, and she should understand that. She called me a dork for knowing his name.
Of course, all of this happened while Hurricane Ike pummeled Houston. I was distraught at the documentary and disappointed that my wife did not appreciate Michael Winslow, but the real struggles occurred in Houston where rain and wind flooded and destroyed much of the landscape. Chris has been without power since Friday night at 1 am, and he is not sure when it will be restored.

For those of you who read this and still do not know who Michael Winslow is, here are some pics to help, and for pete's sake watch some police academy movies (I say, stick with the Police Academy 1-4. 5, 6 and Police Academy: Moscow are not nearly as good).























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In L's defense she was born in the 80's, so she may not be old enough to appreciate the talents of Sir Michael Winslow. Luckily for me I had an older brother who encouraged me to watch movies that were a little before my time. I can't thank him enough.

S