The big question is how do newbie writers use twitter effectively? I am new to Twitter, but have noticed a few things that I'd like to comment on.
- Many writers Tweet self-promotion. This includes reminders to buy novels, announcing deals, promoting other authors doing the same, excerpts from works. Many of these tweeters have massive amounts of followers so it seems like a natural way to get your message across. However, I find myself skipping over tweets from people who promote too much or exclusively.
- Other writers Tweet inspiration. These fill cyberspace with encouragement meant to help writers during wanderbreaks throughout the day. As a writer whose mind wanders to Twitter almost every time I reach a new paragraph, I find these inspirational quotes helpful, though sometimes I think they are overdone or too well crafted as if they came from a book of inspirational quotes. Genuine encouragement is always the best, in my opinion.
- Next I find writers who Tweet other's articles, blogposts, words of encouragement. These writers stumble upon something they found useful and wish to share with their followers. I like these as well, as I often find myself reading articles because they are right there for me, instead of me having to spend time searching for them myself. Not all articles are worthwhile, but it only takes a moment to decide if a read is worth the time or not. And at the end of the day, I am educating as well as entertaining myself.
- I also see humorous/cute tweets. These include funny/cute pictures or witty comments meant to break up the feed and bring a smile to anyone's face. I like these, as I am always ready to smile. Not all of these are funny, but I do not fault anyone trying to be funny or thoughtful.
- Finally, there are many tweets that I simply do not understand. Perhaps I am not smart enough. Perhaps I am too old. But I do not understand what they are saying or the cryptic code in which they are written.
So, in my initial analysis, I believe that a newbie writer looking to break into Twitter should execute a well balanced attack that includes, but is not limited to, self-promotion, inspiration, articles, humor, and cuteness to help entertain as well as educate. That way, people do not follow then mute you. They may be inclined to retweet you and ultimately they may one day visit your website where they will buy and read your wonderful books.
No comments:
Post a Comment