My wife is a bad ass cook! She cooks gourmet meals, and so afterward I will clean the dishes. I rinse the cutting boards, clear plates, scrub pots and pans, and eventually I attempt to put all the dishes in the dishwasher. I am THE WORST at putting dishes in the dishwasher. No matter what I do, I cannot get them to fit in right. My wife shakes her head at the mess inside, saying that I have done it all wrong, that everything would fit nicely if I just organized better. I invite her to the challenge, and watch as she takes out key utensils and repositions them in such a way that more room is freed up on the other side of the washer. She tweaks problem areas, fills gaps, and without fail manages to get all the dishes comfortably in the dishwasher. No matter how many times I watch her, I cannot learn this skill.
Writing can be the same way. There are moments, sections of stories, that I cannot seem to get out right. Cannot seem to fit together properly. In these moments, it is easy to get frustrated, to throw hands in the air and give up, accepting the fact that the dishwasher is only half full. I have had moments like this recently. Thankfully, I was able to remember the dishwasher... able to remember that minor tweaks can make all the difference, so that everything fits together nicely.
No comments:
Post a Comment