A couple of months ago, while drinking at a bar with friends, a story idea hit me like a tidal wave. I stopped down the entire discussion to speak my idea out loud so that I might commit it to some form of drunken memory. Half the table thought my idea was amazing. The other half thought it was ridiculous. Full disclosure: the idea is both amazing and ridiculous in the same way that A Clockwork Orange is amazing and ridiculous. I love it!
But here's the issue: I've been writing action/adventure novels. Fun stories. Easy to read. My new idea doesn't fit these descriptions. My new idea is socially charged, clever, absurd with purpose, and this idea ends with a very clear, relevant message. So this leads me to a question I have for you readers and writers. Will stepping outside my genre box negatively affect me? Will I be confusing readers? Upsetting them? Or is quality work beneficial no matter how different one novel may be from the others?
This question is currently plaguing me. I don't know the right answer. I look at other writers, like Stephen King and John Grisham, who've explored different genres throughout their careers. But comparing me to writers like Stephen King or John Grisham is like comparing my niece's playschool soccer team to the US Women's team that just dominated the 2015 World Cup. Side note: that was an AMAZING World Cup. Anyway, I'm an indie writer. I'm a newbie(ish). Every decision I make could have drastic implications on my future. And I don't have unlimited time and resources to chase every idea that hits me while I'm drinking wine.
So I need help. I need perspective. I haven't started writing on this new idea yet (I'm still working feverishly on Book 4 of my Exchange Day series), but it IS definitely an idea worth exploring. Is it foolish to consider a story outside my genre box? Or is any good idea worth writing, worth exposing my work to readers, even if those same readers might not appreciate the other novels I've written.
Please help!
No comments:
Post a Comment