Memoirs allow for the novel equivalent of making a connection with another person. I've read memoirs written by artists, poor Irish immigrants, writers, chefs, teachers, pilots, preacher's sons, a man who became blind and a college athlete stricken suddenly by a brain tumor, and I connected with each of these people because they had an interesting story to tell. Memoirs are especially important because it gives writers a chance to share themselves, to shed light on their personal eccentricities. Every person is unique, which makes every memoir a unique experience.
I have not written a memoir and would in no way advertise myself as a master of the form. However, I do believe my blog is a form of memoir and I'd like to share my thoughts for aspiring writers who wish to give writing their story a go. And I've read many interesting notes from Zinsser, who knows quite a bit on the subject.
- Your thoughts matter. We are all passengers traveling on the same vessel we call life. Each and every one of us is unique. Each and every one of us brings a fresh perspective to the conversation. Don't discount your own thoughts because you don't feel worthy. You have every right to share your opinion and tell your story as anyone else. And you'd be surprised how many others are willing to listen.
- Be Real. Memoirs uncover the drama, pain, humor and unexpectedness of life because they are real. There is a mystique that arises simply due to the fact that the stories were plucked from real life rather than invented in someone's imagination. Don't betray that mystique by falsifying information. Once you lose trust, the memoir becomes pointless and you'll discourage future readers who can no longer trust you. Stay true to yourself and the events you write about. The truth is interesting enough.
- A memoir is NOT an autobiography. You don't have to feature everything in a memoir. I like to think of a memoir as a snapshot in time. A photograph. A photograph only focuses on what is important. You see the person, the place, the event. You don't see the entire world or the entire life in one picture. So it goes with a memoir. Stay narrow. Stay focused.
- Answer the why question. Memoirs have the benefit of eternal insight into the mind of its subject. That adds a dimension to a story. You can tell what happened. And then you can answer why it happened. For instance, I am quirky in that I cannot let dishes stand in the sink. I must scrub them and place them immediately in a dishwasher. Even when I am at someone's house, I cannot finish a meal and politely place the dishes on the kitchen counter. I just can't do it. That tidbit is interesting enough to help build my character. But since it happens to be true and I know the progression of thought that led to me being this way, I can share the history and the mindset that exists in a person who is particular about dirty dishes.
- Think about detail. Because a memoir is a snapshot and it must be real, the details matter. In my memoir I can discuss my time in elementary school. But it isn't enough to just say I was in school. What sets my school experience apart from the millions of others who went to school? When writing about the mundane, one must include specific details, otherwise the story may feel boring. So if I share my experience in school, one might be bored. Been there, done that. But if I discuss my experience in school as the shortest kid in my grade and filter every experience through that detail, I've added a dimension to the story that readers may not have considered. I've shared something about myself that may enlighten a reader to a different aspect of a familiar situation. (BTW, I wasn't the shortest kid in my grade. I was the third shortest.)
No comments:
Post a Comment