Following is a short list of random memories that come to mind when I think on the past 10 years!
- Getting married on the hottest day in Texas History. Look, I know Texas summers are hot, but the location told us they would have air conditioned misting fans and that it is pleasant outside when they are turned on. We saw the fans! But on the day of the wedding they were out of order.
- Being nervous all day on 7/13/03 until I saw L. for the first time. She walked up the aisle and I could see she was more nervous than me. As soon as we interlocked arms I felt SO much better. Once she was with me, I knew I could handle the most stressful of situations...and this still holds true today.
- Driving to New Orleans in Uncle Eric's car. It did not have a CD player so we brought a mini boombox and lots of batteries.
- Moving to Dallas where I got a job as a server at PF Chang's and L. was a nanny for a crazy woman and her two rambunctious kids. They had pet rats and were responsible for our decision to wait before having children.
- Studying for the LSAT together. We took the test one Saturday and afterward she said that she did not feel good about hers, so she declined to accept the result. I felt great and did not decline. She took the exam again a couple of weeks later and completely outscored me. That may have been the second best decision of her life...the first of course being the decision to say yes to me!
- Coming home from work one day to find 2 Magic Bullets that L. bought from an infomercial that sucked her in.
- Staying up all night on a random Sunday because we started watching LOST season 1 disc 1 with dinner, and could not stop. We called in sick on that Monday. It was awesome!
- Me and L. playing golf balls with Polly.
- Her impersonation of the Judge. She can't really do it anymore, which is why I have given her the green light to accept another clerkship in Tyler. The impression is that good! Worth moving back to Tyler for...
- Her resisting getting a miniature dachshund. I think everyone knows how that turned out.
- Buying L. a sewing machine (I know, a lousy present, but I remember her saying she wanted one...) and it stayed in the box for almost 4 years. And then one weekend she opened it up and we used it to sew couch cushions, which turned out to be great!
- Throwing L. in the ocean at night when she was wearing a nice, white dress. The dress had sand in in and I am pretty sure was ruined afterward.
- Watching L. drive a four wheeler into the jungle. We took the 4 wheelers deep into the jungle where we kissed beneath a waterfall.
- Grew the largest Alice In Wonderland-esque sunflowers in our Tyler garden.
- L. bringing several law school students to a Kingfisher gig. The girls danced, which made the bar wake up and made our music sound better.
- The conversation where I found out she got the job with F&J. I was in a secret room deep in the bowels of the station bank building. It was one of the craziest phone conversations ever...
- Putting diapers on Polly. The dog looked silly, but it was necessary.
- Taking L. to a boxing gym, where she went a few rounds with me in the ring. I called out combinations for her and would attack me with her brick hands. She was lucky it was boxing and not wrestling.
- The first time L. made Thanksgiving dinner. We lived in a tiny apartment with a tiny kitchen, but the dinner was so good that Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday ever since.
- Sitting with L. courtside at a mavs game.
- Convincing L. to sing Talk Tonight. It is a great recording, and I look forward to convincing her to sing for me again.
- The first time we designed and built L. a closet room. Yes, we have done this multiple times!
- Watching The Wall performed by Roger Waters. One of the best shows I've been to.
- Staying up almost all night listening to records in the front room. I tried to sneak in Jethro Tull, Yes and Rush, but got denied each time. Did not get denied on NIN, Nirvana, The Doors, Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam.
- Discovering sushi, and then it becoming our favorite.
- Spending the day with Tomochan and Hideo. We do not speak the same language, so there was a lot of smiling and nodding. I am certain they loved L. because she is good at smiling and nodding.
- Drinking a bottle of Proeza and then having to pick her car up from the parking garage. It was the first bottle of wine we ever completely shared together, and now she is a wine monster and we share one a couple of times per week!
- Dressing up with L. to go to a 60's murder mystery dinner, where no one else dressed up. It was awkward and fun. But probably more awkward than fun.
- Coming home from one of my Saturday classes to discover L. and Stephen planted a tree in our backyard. Later that night we named the tree Wonton.
No comments:
Post a Comment