Saturday, March 27, 2010

#50 The Neverending Story

I am happy to say I received The Neverending Story from Blockbuster.com this week. I am going to watch it keeping in mind how much I loved it when I was younger. However, I am fully expecting the special effects to look terrible.






For Instance, I am pretty sure Falkor: The Luck Dragon is going to look like a giant robotic dog with Showbiz Pizza quality of movement.







And I remember G'Mork freaking me out when I was a kid.










But if I am being honest, I must admit that my favorite character in this film is Morla: The Ancient One. If you do not remember her, she is basically the giant turtle who lives in the Swamp of Sadness. She is irritable and sneezes a lot.






Here is my problem. I worry that kids are going to miss out on this classic film because the technology used does not compare to fantasy movies of today. I feel like the old man telling his grandchildren how great movies were back in the day. But here is what I want to do. I want to come up with a list of movies, books, bands, TV shows that come from our childhood that today's kids are going to miss out on unless parent's take action now. I will start this list off. If I miss important things be sure to include them in the notes, as C. and other parents may need this list to keep important pieces of art from being forgotten.

Forgotten Art:

* The Neverending Story
* Flight of the Navigator
* Robinhood (The Disney Version)
* Knightrider
* Alf
* Pee Wee's Playhouse (even though I heard they are making this into a movie to come out within the next year. Not sure it has a chance of being as good as the show was, though)
* Q-Bert
* No Retreat No Surrender
* Steven Wright's comedy specials
* Space Camp
* Fraggle Rock

1 comment:

Alexander Mori said...

Already remembered another one. Smokey and the Bandit rocked my world when I was a kid. I bet no children born in the 90's or 2000's have seen this film, and it is a damn shame!