I've written posts on identity and selling yourself as a writer. And still, I find myself struggling with the concepts in my own life. I write pretty much every day and I've published (indie-style) two books. I am close to completing my third and am vigorously working on my fourth. I've been at it more than a year and will dedicate the remainder of 2015 to getting more books out. There is no doubt that I'm a writer. Except for one teensy detail. I don't yet make enough money to support myself.
That is one important detail.
We recently went to Vietnam for a two-week vacation. We met several people on our travels. Every conversation included the question, "What do you do?" My wife answered, "Attorney," which garnered a polite smile and a respectful nod of the head. I answered, "I'm a writer." This never failed to bring a surprised expression and the follow up question, "Really?"
YES, really!
I don't take offense to the skepticism...I really don't. Here's the problem. Doubt exists within the mind of every working author. And not just within the minds of budding authors like myself. This includes the moderately successful ones, and I'm convinced it includes the super successful ones as well. It's tough enough to say the words, "I'm a writer." Yet for some reason we're made to say them twice.
I'm not trying to complain or change how people respond to writers they meet, both at home and abroad. I wish to help writers. So here is my advice: take ownership of the work you do. Be proud. Only a small percentage of people can do what we do, just as only a small percentage of people can play professional basketball. Be confident. And when someone says, "Really? You're a writer?" Nod your head and direct them to your book so that your work finds a reader. Ultimately, this will lead to you making enough money to support yourself.
2 comments:
Hi Mr. Mori. Interesting post. I was a teacher for twelve years, went into roofing sales last year, and substitute teach during the winter. I started writing and finished a novel that I am in the process of editing now. When I am asked that question I want to say, "I'm a writer," but I'm holding off 'till something's published. Best regards.
John, I understand your position. I worked in advertising for more than 10 years. I totally understand the instinct to wait until something's published to attract attention to your writing. And it's most likely how I would handle your exact situation. But to yourself, and for yourself, know that you ARE a writer. Just as the 80 year-old woman playing music in her garage is a guitarist, and a 24 year-old man painting in his spare time is an artist.
Let me know when your book is out. I'd like to read it.
A.Mori
Post a Comment