Tuesday, December 30, 2014

#205 Record Player Fail

My younger brother visits me every week, and we listen to old records while working on our latest writing projects.  Before Christmas he enthusiastically explained to me how much he wanted a record player.  My brother doesn't make a whole lot of money, and records have become an expensive hobby.  My family has told him (and rightly so) that he shouldn't get a record player and shouldn't start collecting records.  I completely agree.  However, telling him no only fuels his desire to get a record player.  So I decided to explore a different tact.  I decided to show him how expensive record players are so that he could make his own informed decision.

My brother came over last night and I showed him my set up.  I explained that a home entertainment system like mine required a record player, an amp, a receiver, speakers and enough speaker wire to suspend Batman from the Empire State Building (my brother loves comics).  He traced his finger through the dust that collected on top of each component and said, "Man, that's a lot of stuff.  Maybe I shouldn't get one just yet."  A satisfied smile spread across my face.  I was making progress.

Today I took him to half-priced books.  We scoured the clearance section for Stephen King books and fantasy novels written by Piers Anthony.  The entire time I explained to my brother that he shouldn't buy a book for more than $3.  I said it over and over.  I stressed value.  I said, "Books are entertainment.  Why buy a book for $12.99 when you could find one for $2.99?"

My brother found a couple of gems and made his way proudly to the front of the store.  He found 2 books, each on sale for $1.  Progress continued.  My brother was learning.

Near the checkout counter stood a behemoth display of record players stacked on top of each other.  The sign claimed each record player to be a portable device with built in speakers that needed nothing more than a power outlet and a record to start a party.  The record player was on sale for $50 + 20% off.  My brother's eyes lit up.  "Look," he said.  "I can get a record player for less than $50!"

"Hold on," I said, eyeing the display skeptically.  "We need to hear what this thing sounds like before we consider buying one."

A record player sat in the center of the display begging customers to "try me."  I grabbed a Van Halen vinyl and placed it on the turntable.  I powered the machine and dropped the needle into the appropriate groove.  The record began to crackle through a small, round speaker built into the side of the player.  

I turned the volume knob to max and my brother nodded along to the music.  Though he could barely hear David Lee Roth's vocals, he said, "This sounds pretty good."

"Does it?" I asked.  "Does it sound better than your mp3 player in your apartment?"

"Well, no," he answered.  "But it sounds better than nothing."

"But you don't have 'nothing,'" I said.  "You have an mp3 player that sounds better than this.  And you have tons of songs on your iPod.  Wouldn't you rather listen to your mp3 player than this rickety record player that you can barely hear?  You need to wait on getting a record player until you can afford all the pieces that make it sound good.  Okay?"

"Yeah, maybe you're right.  This one doesn't sound too good."  His tone reflected his dejection.  But I was happy to see him once again come to the proper conclusion.

My brother grabbed his two books and headed for the checkout line.  He rounded the corner of the record player display and his eyes lit up again.  He pointed to a pile of 311 albums positioned enticingly on the end cap.  "Look," he said.  "311 on vinyl!"

"You already have that album on your iPod.  You don't need it on vinyl."

"Yeah, but I want to listen to it on a record."

"But it' sounds better on your mp3 player."

"But still," he interjected.  "I want to get a good record player."

I pushed him past the 311 display and directed him toward the check out counter.  "No," I said.  "You CAN'T get a record player.  And that's final."


No comments: